Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Entrepreneur

At the gym for a 5 a.m. work out, slap on business clothes and am on the road by 8 a.m. In a breakfast meeting by 8:30. Yeh…that’s a lie. You all know it. Alarm rings at 8 hit it; 8:30 shut it off. The cat steps on my head, on my bladder, then whines until I stumble out of bed at 9.

My partner has put on the coffee I suck it down so my caffeine head ache stops throbbing. I proceed to a comfy chair or out to the deck to read computer journals. More coffee. After 2 cups we start to talk business.

10 a.m. EST start the machines, open the e-mail, see who needs stuff, and make phone calls. Begin moving all that binary coding around that some how makes the pages, art and web sites we push to the internet. Around noonish eat some breakfast. Take a walk in the sunshine then back by 1.

The partner is off to play hand ball a couple of days a week. So when I answer the phone and say “he is out of the office” or “in a meeting”. FYI he is really out getting some exercise.

On a slow day I'll ring my sister and talk about a lot of nothing. Still working on the computer t doing the multi tasking thing. This office is lonely.

Around 5ish we eat, run to meetings and come home by 8. How you might ask do we make a living? From 8 till 11 p.m. or later we go back to work. We are open Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific time. If the job requires ridiculous hours we will rise to the occasion. We have been known to work holidays too.

The upside of self employment: no boss, no cubicle, and no rush hour traffic. Knock on my door and I can be cajoled into taking a walk in the woods out back, having coffee down by the river, or strolling to town for some lunch.

Does this schedule stuff my bank account or boost my retirement savings to a million dollars? NO. I will have to work till I’m dead. But I will have lived every day in between.

My company is available for career counseling between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being an entrepreneur takes a certain kind of person. I sometimes wish I were that type...but I'm not. Continued good luck.

Anonymous said...

Oooh I want to sleep late and play all day :)